What Is a Smile Makeover?
No one is born with a perfect smile, which is why when you see someone that has straight, attractive, white teeth, it’s usually because they’ve had a smile makeover. A smile makeover goes beyond responding to dental problems as they arise. A smile makeover is a comprehensive cosmetic dentistry plan that’s uniquely suited to your own facial features and aesthetic preferences.
Our caring team and doctors focus on transforming ordinary smiles into brilliant, stunning smiles through our smile makeover process. Regardless of what your smile looks like today, we are confident that we can improve your smile.
What Can a Smile Makeover Fix?
A smile makeover is a great option for addressing the following aesthetic issues with a smile:
- Misaligned teeth
- Missing teeth
- Stained or yellowed teeth
- Misshapen teeth
If you are not satisfied with your smile the way it is and would like to see a change, you could be a good candidate for a smile makeover or another cosmetic dentistry procedure.
What Is Included in a Smile Makeover?
In your smile makeover, the dentist will determine which cosmetic dentistry procedure or procedures would benefit your smile the most, but it typically includes some combination of the following:
- Teeth whitening to brighten up discolored teeth
- Porcelain veneers: a thin, tooth-colored porcelain shells that cover your natural teeth. Long-lasting and natural-looking, they can protect your teeth from further damage and give you the beautiful smile you desire.
- Braces or invisible aligners, which can be used to correct misaligned teeth
- Crowns: while typically a functional procedure, they can also be used to cover teeth that have unattractive flaws.
The Veneer Placement Process
Veneer placement follows these steps:
- If the patient’s teeth are particularly sensitive, local anesthetic may be used, but it usually isn’t necessary. The dentist cleans the tooth and determines the ideal shade, then removes a thin layer of enamel to make room for the veneer.
- The dentist takes an impression of the tooth and places a temporary veneer.
- Once the custom veneer has been delivered, the tooth is cleaned and the veneer is etched, rinsed, and dried, and finally cemented onto the tooth.
- A curing light helps harden the adhesive to attach the veneer to the tooth. The dentist polishes the veneer and removes any excess material.
Maintaining Your Smile Makeover Results
It’s important to take good care of your smile after you’ve had your makeover so that it will last as long as it should before needing additional treatment. This mainly consists of the same good brushing and flossing habits you maintain for your pre-makeover teeth, and you can minimize the risk of the veneers becoming stained by avoiding foods and drinks that stain, such as coffee and red wine. Avoiding a smoking habit will also help keep your smile looking amazing.
If your smile makeover includes orthodontic treatment, it’s also essential to keep up with your retainers! The periodontal ligament that holds our teeth in place has a long memory and it takes a while before it gets used to the teeth’s new position. Wearing your retainers ensures that you maintain your orthodontic result, and it prevents your teeth from additional shifting that happens naturally over time.
What Is the First Step?
Communication is vitally important in the smile makeover process, which is why at the first consultation we will listen intently to what you want to accomplish. We want to know what you would like and what you want for your smile. Once you’ve shared your goals with us, we will prepare a plan for your cosmetic dentistry treatment. Cosmetic dentistry offers an amazing array of lifelike tooth restorations and treatments.